Friday 21 January 2011

Breaking Bad... Pixel's balls over how we haven't posted.

Well hello there, it's been a while hasn't it? Yes, it has, too long in fact. But let's not get on at me for being shit let's just carry on as if nothing happened.

Recently, my carrying on as if nothing has happened has included watching two entire seasons of a US drama called Breaking Bad. Notice how I cleverly worked that into the title there. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that it's really fucking excellent. Obviously I'm going to write a little about it so read on for my thoughts and that.


Thoughts mode commence here.
Firstly I'll tell you that it's about a chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and decides to start manufacturing and selling crystal meth as a way to make money for his family after he dies. The show revolves around his relationships, both with his family and with his partner in crime, an old student of his. It's about how he stacks the lies upon a base of lies to conceal the truth. It's about a man with nothing to lose going on a mission to make his less likely to bankrupt his family.

The characters are well written to the point that I got choked up during the second season during a particularly brilliant episode. That may make me sound soft but it is saying a lot because barely anything gets me to that when it comes to films. Ghost World did but offhand I can't think of anything else.

The thing that makes it great though is the acting and writing. you can see what motivates the characters and what they are thinking at all times. The main character is a bit of a mumbler but you just know what he's thinking without any effort. He's not speaking, there's not a monologue, you just know by his expressions and body language. This goes for the entire show. It's definitely one of my favourite ever TV dramas, along with Battlestar Galactica and 24. (24 was pretty emotional in the latest series actually but I wasn't as choked for that as I was here)
The thing that's great about it is that the events lead from bad to worse as the lies increase, then just when you think it's going well, it goes shit again. It's a brilliant story of persistence and of struggle. I have yet to watch the third season and the fourth has yet to be aired in the US but I will be watching them all. If you see the show anywhere cheap, and you probably will because no one seems to have heard of it, buy that shit instantly. You won't be disappointed you will be just as hooked as me. For a show about drugs and the effect they have on peoples lives this show is remarkably addictive

No comments:

Post a Comment